Tuesday, May 18, 2010

June 28th, 1943

Letter #36
June 28th 1943
Mrs. Carl B. Thomas
San Antonio, Texas

Mother,

Today, for some unheard of reason we got what is capped open hill!! Which means we don't have any required formations except mess. We can go to the P.X., Post Theater, or the exclusively upperclassmens service club. Something must be cooking. The rumors are running wild of course. They always do. I am going to catch up on my sleep most of the day. Then gorge myself with food (candy etc) at the P.X. and catch up on my letters. You are the only one I have been able to write to. I didn't expect to be able to do that but after that first week and a half they starting letting up on me. I believe they bothered me more then anyone at first but now I am bothered the least (in our barracks). I was the only one that didn't have an "gigs" until yesterday. The sun was shinning through the windows just so and the inspector saw smears on the glass. I shouldn't get more then 2 at the most. You don't have to walk them off until you get 5. Then you walk one hour for the everyone more then 5 per week. They are really suffering some of them, I thank my lucky stars that I got on the ball from the first. If I keep there now. I won't be bothered hardly any. I get more time to study etc.. They don't get a kick out of beating you when you don't let it faze you (poker face) and make them look poor in the way your shoes, brass etc are cleaned. I am beginning to see their side now. They are responsible for us and have to keep us perfect like their upperclassmen had to do with them. It seemed as if they were unreasonable at first but most of that stuff has been cut out except with a few guys that don't keep on the ball and a few upperclassmen whose power has gone to his head. You know the type that like to keep demonstrating his power as soon as he is given a little authority. I still will be plenty glad when its over. In a week and half we will be upperclassmen. I still say I will do things faster and better when I am not beaten into it.

I really enjoyed Dad's letter. Hearing form him helps me keep up my courage. You should get a cleaning woman more often there are too many rooms in that big house for you to clean. I know Jean helps but with a heavy schedule like she has cuts down her free time.

Has john actually left yet or what? Who is Mrs. Fletcher? What is the connection? Where, when etc did you get yo know her? I might look up that address.

We do not even see any planes (on the ground) here. There are plenty flying around though. Another screwy rules is that no underclassmen is ever supposed to look up into the sky at an airplane. Just another form of mental torture. Can you imagine hundreds of fellows that are planning their future in the air not allowed to even look up.

Tommy is really cute isn't he? I hope he stays good. That certainly is a shame Johnnie has to go overseas. I can just imagine how Mary feels. Of course, he has a chance of getting home before I do, even if he is overseas. They are just as likely to give him leave after several months. He is a Captain you know!

I finished my naval identification course yesterday. I think I got about 90% in it. I am glad thats over with. It really took me a long time to memorize their characteristics. Next comes airplane identification. I all ready know a lot of them. Math is getting harder. We have our 2nd test Monday. Over Navigation I hope I pass ok the third part is over actual problems in dead reckoning etc. I flunked my 5 word code test. I just blew up. This won't bother my records just so I get ten words per minute by the time I heave here. Code is the only course that lasts the whole 9 weeks. It is the only thing that we start from scratch on, is the reason I guess. The other courses we are supposed to know a lot about when we come here. If we didn't we would be sunk they way the fire it at you.

How is the situation at home. Do you get much meat and butter and how about shoes. We arn't affected by that stuff much know. What about the feeling the people have at home? Is it better or worse? From the looks of the papers it is getting worse. I wish the situation looked as good as home as it does in Europe and in the Pacific. I can't understand the peoples attitude. Am I getting this army propaganda and not the other side of the question.

I hope I keep hearing from you often. Mother that will give you a good excuse to sit down and take it easy. I have really enjoyed the extra letter this week.

Love
Dave

P.S. I got paid today - you never did tell me how much I owe you all.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to read some more letters, please post again soon!
    Thanks you for sharing this wonderful family treasure.
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete