Tuesday, May 18, 2010

June 7th 1943

(I had this one slightly out of order)

Letter #35
June 7th 1943
To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas
San Antonio Texas

Dear Mother,

I feel a lot better today then I have felt for a long time. I haven't gotten any "gigs"; I passed my first code test, I got 100 in my first math test and 95 in my first Navel identification test. I really had to work to do it. I feel like a beaten up dishrag. If I last for another 2 1/2 weeks. I will need a vacation. When I am an upper classmen I won't be going all this time. I haven't gotten over 6 hours sleep in one night since I arrived, especially when we exercise like we fo. We get 1 hour drill one calisthenics and and then run the 3 mile cross country. I really do get winded. The exercising I did in classification (running) helped a lot though. I don't have any after affects. When it's all over I don't feel stiff or tired, especially, just sleepy as always. Another thing that didn't help I had the "G.I.'s" for 2 days (If I were in China they would call it dysentery.

You asked me about drinking: I have seen just as much since I got in the army as I did in York. There just isn't anything else for most people to to without a lot of trouble.-

No mother-I havn't started hitting the bottle - I still can't see anything to it. I take a drink once in a while but I haven't gotten at all drunk. The party when I left the Y..P.R. I drank more then I have since I got in the army. I don't smoke at all either. That is one thing that is very handy. In the army there are so many times and places where you can't smoke. Did you know that cadets arn't supposed to smoke in Public (outside). They that as future officers and gentlemen you should not do it. That's one rule that easy for me to follow.

You were really correct when you said the nice people don't associate with the soldiers ("Cadets" are just soldiers here). There are plenty of churches in town but we arn't allowed in on Sunday. We had post churches in classification but here the fellows are about 10 to 1 as dar as fitting into church is concerned. I am sorry too because I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I hope W.C. really loosen up to the soldiers. PLEASE PLEASE give them a chance Mother. With thousands of guys around there isnt a lonelier life then a soldier. I am really glad to hear the Quakers are helping out. Mary and Jean should have fun at the dances.

Steve doesn't need to worry about the draft I don't think. Tell him he can do ten times more good there at home working for the summer then going to school. Tell him not to give up school. A good man at home can do a lot more good then 5 men in the army. Even if I got killed in action I wouldn't do the country as much good as his working hard and well. In the Army, you get the glory and credit and the people at home, do all of the work. No one realizes it until he gets in the army. I know I didn't. I know now that I could do more good at home then I could here. I am satisfied though, someone has to do this. I wonder how John and Harvey really feel. I don't suppose we will ever know. The coal miners or the auto cowboys or fellows like that can make the country weaker then thousands of fellows like myself getting killed. I am not trying to sounds like one of the "Expendable" but it is true, isn't it?

I am surprised that you are having so much rain. The weather is really perfect here (for a vacation). The rainy season starts soon. I believe I will have some money to send home this month. I have bought nearly everything that is required. Just exactly how much do I owe you now? I haven't been about to keep track of it. We should be able to settle up soon if I keep on this crazy man's life. I can't even get a cake of soap at the P.X.

About the pictures. I bought and paid for one large photo for you on Mothers day. I don't care which one you pick or if anyone want ant more but thats the situation as far as I'am concerned.

Yes, I am known as Aviation Cadet David L. Thomas (at last) I am also known as the lowest form of humanity on the face of the earth.

Our classes are excellent. The teachers are very good to and efficient. I certainly am glad I took math and phyics in school. If this class system was done away with the setup would be perfect. Having someone heckle you all day you just can't study. I have to do it all in the early morning when they are still asleep. They don't bother me so much but I have to always be on the alert and can't do any studying. I would get caught some way if I did. Some guys are really getting it tough. You just have to keep on the ball or they will make it ten times worse. Some guys are actually going to the hospital. When they put them in the chair brace they throw their back bone out somehow. Three guys I know of re in the hospital. All of the upper classmen are at the movies tonight thank goodness. Please write to me,

Love
Dave

I gor tour letter with you holding Tommy. It really made me wish I was home. Tommy is big and cute isn't he.


No comments:

Post a Comment