Sunday, February 7, 2010

June 9th 1943

Letter #34
June 9th 1943
To Mrs. Carl B Thomas
San Antonio, Texas

Dear Mother,

I got your letter written FRiday the 4th today. Everyone I get from you helps give my spirits a lift. I am getting more calloused as time goes by. I still hate this way of living but I don't have much more then 6 weeks to go. One thing is very encouraging. The strict rules at chow have been stopped completely. That is really wonderful. We can now see and appreciate the wonderful food we are getting. It is absolutely the best that I have had. I have been here two weeks and can still say it, so you know it must be good. The new rules say no upperclassmen can do anything to you while eating. You don't have to eat at attention, keeping you eyes on a point straight to the front and sitting on 4 inches of a chair with one hand hanging straight down or anything like that. You can look at your food sir on all of your chair. Of course you still have to sit up very straight and keep only one hand on the table but you can look around and ask for the butter etc. like a normal human being. You can even even go and get seconds I have 2 bricks of ice cream today. The reason this was changed, the hospital complained that there were to many underclassmen sick with indigestion from eating such good food at that. The latest rumor is that they are going to cut out the whole class system. Too many upperclassmen are taking advantage of there authority and people are crowding the hospitals. Just like John L. Lewis and his coat miners union. They can go too far. All of the other Air Corps pre-flight schools have stopped long ago. There just isnt time for that kind of stuff while we are trying to win a war.

There are 28 fellows here form the 19th Bombardment Group. It has been publicized a lot lately. They were gunners etc. they are trying for the same thing I am. Out underclassmen head (called Squadron Lt.) has 9 medals. He was a tail gunner on a flying fortress. He was in Guadel Canel, New Guinea, and also up in the Aleutians (Alaska). He is a swell fellow. Twelve of the 28 are asking to be sent back to their squadron. They cant see this kid stuff. I can just imagine how they feel having a damn kid in the army about 2 months telling him what and how to do things and giving a lot of wacky orders. I know I will be able to stand it now though. I guess you can get used to anything even if you don't get to liking it. The two things I really enjoy are the P.T. and the classes. The P.T. is nearly killing my physically and the classes mentally, but I really enjoy them both because I am learning things from good teachers that really teach a lot in a little time without any time wasted (very unheard of in the army). The P.T. is getting me in fine shape. I still haven't lost nor gained any weight but I believe it is placed better and I don't tire nearly so fast. When it is all over for a day I don't feel any worse for the wear. It's just at the time that it's going on that I think I am going to die. I really wish I could show you some of these Calisthenics. They are tougher and more complicated everywhere I go and as days go by. Yesterday was the first time that I completed the whole 7 miles. I just got there like a robot. I actually couldn't stop walking like I was running. You know, moving my hands back and forth etc. It is really a queer sensation. We have to do it in one Hr. I will be able to do it I am sure (before I leave) I run the 3 mile (it is a little less I think) cross country up and down hill cross creeks though wood etc in 24 minutes after Calisthenics.

This camp doesn't have any other then the "Sad Sack" <----S.A.A.C.C. and AAFPS (Pilots)

I am making $75 plus $1.00 a day that I get but give it right back for those delicious meals. We are eating a regular officers mess now, paying for it the same way. That's why it's so much better then we have ever had. I hope I never hit G.I. show again.

Say hello to Kap, Nancy, Steve, and Jean. Cheer Mary Eleanor for me. I can just imagine how she feels and how he feels too. If Marge is there say ill write her soon. Tell Dad I gope his women are straightened out. I wish I was could so it for him. Thats my speed.

Write Soon Love
Dave

P.S. "Then get back to normal as as quick as possible." Will we? I am supposed to be studing but hering from home helps me with my studies more then cramming, at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment