Friday, November 6, 2009

February 10th 1943

Letter #9

February 10th 1943

To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas

Miami, Florida

 

Dear Mother

            I received that letter addressed to “Cadet Training Center Miami Beach” boy oh boy that was sure unusual that ever got here  I was really glad to get it though. 

            My arms got better my vaccination took and now all I have to do is wait for the next ones and hope that they aren’t as bad.  I had a swell swim Sunday.  Monday we went to movies all day long 4 hrs in morning and 4  in afternoon.  They were very interesting but it was sure tiresome.  This morning we did the same.  This afternoon we marched which was sure welcomed to me after sitting in the movies all that time.  The movies were about everything Venereal Diseases, personal cleanliness, first aid,  close order drill (all the movements in detail, keeping your trap shut about shipments etc.  We also had a couple of lectures on War Bonds.  Gov’t life insurance and dependant allotments.  I found out that all that they are going to give me down here is $10 a month to spend no more and no traveling expenses for trip down as I had expected.  This will make it impossible to pay you back unless you want me to cash a Bond.  I will be bale to hold out I think, myself.  I have been winning at dice and cards slightly eversince I left.  I am getting low because of so many things you have to buy:  soap, shoe polish, equip towels, socks, laundry bills etc.  WE don’t get everything furnished like a regular buck private, although we are definitely buck privates.

            I did one think stupid with my limited fiancés since I was down here.  I lost $3.00 at the dog races last night.  I knew darn well you can win with them I played them so often before but you know how you go along with the other fellows.  They are still running every night bit the horse races have been closed because of gas rationing. 

            All the fellows are “women crazy” all ready but I am deinately not one of them.  I don’t give a darn whether I see one or not cause none of them are the type I care for in the first place and second I still haven’t gotten over my overdose in York – To many and to damn serious.

            Guess what Mother!!- - I went to Presbyterian (I cant spell it) Church Sunday night and met the nicest bunch of people (civilians that wernt Jews).  They were all swell to me they have a service center in a private home.  They said to come up anytime day or night to read, talk , or eat or write home or anything.  Can you imagine that!!!  Only about 20 people were there Sunday so its like a family.  They play games on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  This religion is sure a great thing.  I am going regularly from now on if I can.  (there were several nice girls there too) or rather I shall call them ladies.

            I certainly will be glad to here from some of you?  Do you still have skating or skiing?  Whats the dope on Marge and Hamey?  What about Babe where is she?  Tell me all the news, will you?

Love

Dave

Here are some examples of War Department Films that were watched during training



No comments:

Post a Comment