Tuesday, November 17, 2009

March 11th 1943


Letter #18

March 11th 1943

Miss Jean H. Thomas

Tampa, Forida

 

Dear Jean

            I came back from the hospital this morning.  This afternoon I will start school here at the University.  The rest of the kids started Monday.  We march from class to class.  My schedule run as follow:  8 o’clock drilling, 9 military rules etc, 10 first aid etc, 11 study (not in rooms though) 12 lunch, 1 geography, 2 math, 3 history, 4 English, 5 I forget (calisthenics I believe), 6 chow again 7 to 8 free, 8-10 study in rooms, 10 to 5:45 sleep.  I don’t know what this will be like but I will soon know.  We are furnished new books.  We supply own paper etc.  I am certainly glad to get out of that “Goldbrickers” paradise it was beginning to get on my nerves.    

            I got a package of cookies and candy from Hazel, box of Whitmens from Marge and Havey and 5 letters today.  Whatta time, I had.  That’s the best I have yet.  The letters were from Betty Taton, Nancy, Hazel, and two from mother dated March 2nd and 6th.  I was really glad to get them.  They were the first I had gotten since befr I left Miami.

            Nancy says she doesn’t like the looks of the Dame I picked in Miami Beach.  What do you think of her?  Nancy didn’t go into details. 

            Tell M. I would love to have all Newsweeks, Reader Digests or anything you got from peanuts to Daily Local News. 

What is Betty T. address?

How do you spell her last name?

            The eng,, hist, and geography were very dry with poor conditions and teachers.  This is a first day impression I sincerely hope it improves. 

            I was very glad to get my income total from mother.  I was getting worried how I would gill out my income tax.  I am not going to pay it but I still have to send in a report.  By the way Jean, mother said you sent me a letter with “ 5 skins” in it – I never received it.  Are you sure you mailed it?  I can’t imagine what happened to it.  It would really home in handy.  We got another $10 last week which was a big help but with notebooks etc, to buy it is disappearing fast. 

            How is your love life coming along?  Are you giving those soldiers a break up at college?  I hope so because they sure need it, if they are like this soldier.  Even a smile will help.  I am sure it wont be anything like it was before.  You will never find a stickup soldier, if he is a real one.  Most of them are shy (including me).  You don’t believe me I know but its true.  You get a terrific mental knockdown in a very shot time.  The face we are all dressed alike has a lot to do with it to.  Tonight I asked a girl to dace (not bad at al) and I felt really scared at first.  Remember how you felt before some of those Malvern dances

Love to all

How are the Measles coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment