Monday, November 9, 2009

February 26th 1943

Letter #13

February 26th 1943

Miss Kathrine E. Thomas

Miami, Florida

 

Dear Kath

            I got you swell letter Wednesday.  I certainly do enjoy hearing from you.  I think what you did with Toby was a good idea.  I imagine it was kind of heard though after teaching him all of those tricks and everything.  You should teach suzy some tricks now.  You seem to be the best dog trainer in the family.

Did Nancy get that thing form me yet?  You will be surprised when you see it and hear it.

            I think we are going to be put back on “shipment” (definition:  pack and be on call any time day or night, 15 minutes notice.  We cant leave out rooms and we don’t drill or anything).

            At least that’s what you are supposed to do.  Last Sunday when we were on “shipment” another fellow and I sneaked out and went to the beach – boy was it ever nice.  The sun was hot as blazes and the water was just right.  I also had fun with some other fellow playing games etc.

            In case you ever wondered or anyone else ever wonders why I write to poorly its because we don’t ever have any chairs to sit on or tables to write on.  Its all done in the palm of the hand. 

            Hows the weather?  Do you still ride Besty?  Remember a long time ago you said you couldn’t saddle her and you couldn’t gallop her?  You sure can now cant you? 

            One thing good about this basic training, you done have any homework.  Of course I will have a lot later on if and when I get to pre-flight school, but its really very easy so far.  The only things that have bothered me so far have been those injections.  We are all of the time getting them, it seems.  My vaccination took so I have one on each arm now.  My cold is gone completely and so has the bad weather. 

            Did M. get my civilian clothes?  She should have.  Remind her to send them to the cleaners for a moth proof bag.  When they are all done if she tell me how much everything is I will send it to her. 

            Well “Cap” take care of everything and write again when you have the chance

 

Love, Dave

 

P.S.  Would you  want a polo shirt with :

Army Air Forces

Miami Beach

Fla


Printed on the front?  I am going to send Steve one!

No comments:

Post a Comment