Sunday, November 15, 2009

March 3rd 1943

Letter #16

March 3rd, 1943

To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas

Tampa, Florida

 

Dear Mother

            I don’t know what’s up but the set up looks good so far.  I am going to college for nothing, Military school really.  We will get 1 weeks exams (physical and mental) then start classes.  We were told that we will take phyics, math (through trig), English and history.  This I will know more about later.  We are not allowed to even talk to the civilian girls and boys here except on official business.  I know we will get around this, though.  We are 200 strong.  We are invading this university of 200 girls and 100 boys and they resent it very much.  I can’t blame them though, because we pushed them right out of the dorms.  They are all living down town, in private homes.  I hope they get over it.  This is a creaking old college that was on the rocks so they army is helping it out. I don’t care how bad it is, it is really wonderful to be going to school.  This is really my chance.  I hope to God it keeps on looking as good.  Its going to be awful tough for me but that’s what I want after that picnic in Miami Beach.  I wish I was in as good mental shape as I was physical.  I am really excited I cant event sit still.  I am ready to start out today, but I know by now the army wont hurry.  It is always slower than an individual, or at least me.  Maybe it will be waiting for me sometimes.

            I think the inspection is going to be very strict.  From what they told us in our pep talk it will be just as tough as West Point as far as discipline and inspections etc are concerned.  200 more are coming as soon as the dorms are straight.  We still do now have any hot water.  The temp is a lot cooler in winter and a lot hotter in summer here then in Miami. 

            Our trip down was terrific.  We got called at 12 noon yesterday.  We got out stuff inspected in the hot sun with out winter woolens on.  It took until 6:15 last night.  Truck took us to Miami.  We carried our own equipment.  (You have seen them in the railroad station)  We got on Wooden Coaches that were used as “Jim Crow Cars” and rode until 6:15 this morning.  That was nearly as bad as the two nights we spent coming down.  We were under strict discipline, no widow up (woolens still on) aprox 80 degrees, in shade, couldn’t even take off coat, didn’t know when, where, how long, we were going had’nt eaten since 11:15 in morning.  No Sleep.

            I will write as soon as something new starts poppin.  Tell some people my new address- will ya!

 

Love, Dave

P.S.  I am not completely classified yet.  I am not in pre-flight yet.  I have had all my “shots”.

No comments:

Post a Comment