Monday, November 2, 2009

February 7th 1943


This is the start of the letters from basic training.  Several of these letter have some very neat stationary, im going to scan and post them as well.  Enjoy!


Letter #5

February 7th 1943

To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas

Miami, Florida

 

Dear Mother,

            I am having the time of my life.  I haven’t had any trouble with anyone yet.  The only trouble I have had was with a smart Jew with a 10cent cigar who was a buck private but had several months in the army and was in charge of checking out equipment when it was issued to us.  He said the easiest way to carry our helmet was on our head and I thought it would be easier to put it in our duffle bag and carry the whole works on my shoulder.  We really had it out but of course I lost.  He called the sergeant. 

            We cannot turn on any lights in out rooms so everything at night is done in the dark.  The weather is perfect as usual.  We have Sunday afternoon until 4 o’clock to go swimming or church or what ever you want to do.  This writing paper looks cheap doesn’t it – the answer to that is “it is.”  The only civilians I have seen since I arrived have been Jewish, the same fat greasy kind that was down here before.  A civilian looks as strange down here as a soldier walking down the street 2 years ago looked. 

            We marched about 15 miles a day but it’s a snap – I have even surprised myself.  About 75% of the guys are lame from blisters and corns etc etc.  I haven’t one of anything.  Sunburn is taking it toll also; it hasn’t bothered me yet.  The food is great – got meat, 2 veg, potatoes, salad, drink, desert, jam and bread every meal (except breakfast of course).  We have everything we cant get in civilian life except butter.  Also at the Post Exchange you can get lots of items that you cant get.  We had 2 banana pies with everything else for breakfast, plenty of sugar, coffee, coca cola.

            The one thing that has really bothered me has been the shots.  We got them yesterday afternoon.  I didn’t sleep at all last night and I have felt terrible all day.  Today – we have taken several exams (mental) but nothing to do with the air cadets yet.  We are in pre-pre-flight school – it will last for 24 days then if your turn in school comes, you go.  Otherwise you hang around here until your turn does come.  This is semi-official.  You never know what is going to happen here until the minute it does.  You can image how the rumors fly!

            Its hard to get a regular letter written because keeping room clean, shoes shined etc etc. in your spare time.  I certainly do wish I would hear from you and the rest.  This is a lot different then when your life is your own and you can go and come and do what you please.  There are a swell bunch of fellows here.  We got out pictures taken together last night (the first night out) we had to be in by 10 o’clock.  I will send them up Monday if I have a chance.  How about sending me down the pictures we took there for a couple of days before I left.  I will return the ones that I don’t want.  I wish I didn’t feel so terrible.  I want to go to the beach as soon as I am done this letter.  We are not allowed to go to Miami a all and some places have military restrictions.  All the stores are setting soldier (air corps) supplying only.   We were the first squadron of Air Cadets to come down here, all the rest are just plain air corps fellows (draftees).  They are on the average much older and tougher naturally.  The average age of the cadets is 19 ½.  So I am about right.  I am glad I didn’t get a lot crap like military sets etc. cause you aren’t allowed to have hardly anything except G.I.  My clothes that I wore are being sent home. 

            If I don’t do say so myself we have the best bunch of guys in our flight, the best 4 in our room, and I am the best soldier here.  This drilling is a snap.  Thank goodness I am not with a bunch of dopes so we have to go over things again and again.  I think that’s why our sergeant and corporals are so nice.  I was telling to one and he said he would rather drill us then those draftees any day.   We all try I guess that’s the difference.  Sam Barber, Harland Slack and 6 guys form York are here in some hotel but I haven’t located them yet.

            I guess I have told you all the news, write soon and often as possible you get a slight touch of homesickness when you are lined up for mail and everyone around get a dozen letters and you don’t get any.

Love to all, Dave (Yardbird) Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment