Monday, November 16, 2009

March 10th, 1943

Letter #17

March 10th, 1943

To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas

Tampa, Florida

 

Dear Mother

            You could never guess where I am.  Whatta crazy world this is!!  I am in the Drew Field Hospital.  It is located about 5 miles from Tampa.  Its in the middle of a swamp with barracks (called wards) for 1700 patients.  I am one of them.  I am here with 40 other fellows from the university.  Isn’t that crazy!  We Aren’t Sick!  We all had slight stuffiness or slight sore throats left over from Miami and Sunday afternoon with no reason at all we are sent here.  We stayed in bed all day today eating like pigs and kidding with the Doctors and nurses, (a commission doesn’t make a darn bit of difference in this “wackie” place).  The doctor examine us and say “there isn’t anything wrong with you is there” we say “ not a thing Doc” and then he leave us for the day.  I don’t know how long this is going to go on.  The novelty will wear off in another day.  So far I don’t mind it al all just so the rest of the fellows back at the Univ. don’t start classes.  We see and hear plenty of planes for a change. 

            I told you about the Miami set up didn’t I, as far as going on sick call was concerned?  How we had to go on sick call for half a day just to get an aspirin.  Everyday had to be made up by drilling on Sunday.  I luckily didn’t have to go until Sunday.  You had to be unconscious before they would take you to the hospital.  You must be nearly dead then they might look at you. 

BUT HERE

All it took was – the Doctor says “All people who have sore throat or colds fall-out.”  So we fell out.  We thought that we were going to get a break and get our throats painted or nose drops but they didn’t stop there.  Within an house we are in this huge heated hospital.  (The war has been hellish).  We don’t even have to scrub the floor or anything.  I wonder how long this will go on???  The nurses and Docs say we will be here a couple of weeks.  I hope they are kidding.  You cant imagine what its like to sleep between two sheets (Crisp, and white and clean) with regular hospital beds.  Eat good meals with butter and milk.  The rooms are all dry and heated. 

            I haven’t received any mail since Marges birthday card mailed 27th.  You have my new address, don’t you?

 

Pvt. David L. Thomas

18th College Training Detachment (Aircrew)

University of Tampa

Tampa, Florida

 

Love to all

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment