Tuesday, November 10, 2009

February 28th 1943

Letter #14

February 28th 1943

To Mr. Carl B. Thomas

Miami, Florida

 

Dear Dad,

            I am still on “shipment”.  Over half of the flight has been shipped to goodness knows where.  All we know is that some of them left with just there “suntans” but most of them had there O.D.s.  I have mine.  This does not necessarily mean I am coming north.  We did not get issued long flannel underwear which is G.I.  for up north (Penna etc.)  This waiting around is certainly nerve racking.  You cant unpack your stuff and send your dirty stuff to the laundry or anything we sit or get lectures that kill time, nothing else, all day.  This morning a lot of guys left at 3:30AM and 4:30AM.  They got everyone up there yelling.  We still have to get up at5:15 even if we don’t do anything.  We aren’t supposed to read or write letters or anything during the day – just sit.  In the evenings, when we are usually allowed out, we are free to do what we want, but we are restricted to our own room.  This is sure getting tiresome.  The latest rumor is that we are leaving tomorrow morning at 4AM.  I hope we do either one thing or the other.  If we were taken off “Shipment” maybe we could go to the beach tomorrow.  Maybe I will be able to think up a good one to get out again like last Sunday. 

            How is Mother? (Really)  She said she had a slight  cold in her last letter.  Every time she gets something wrong it worries me.  I certainly hope that blood pressure is getting under control.  Ever since Aunt Alice’s funeral I have been thinking how awful I would feel if I was in Christine or Howard or Mary’s place.  That would be the worst thing that could happen to me I believe

Tell M. thanks for getting my clothes fixed and keeping  them together.  I am enclosing $4 which should cover all the bills.  If not tell her to let me know.  My winning streak has stopped in gambling.  So I have quit entirely.  The ten we got for the month of Feb. is about gone so my fiancés are getting low.  I don’t know when I will be paid again.  I have taken up washing sox for 5cents pr and shinning shoes for 25 cent pr.  I am making 50 ro 75 cents a day on the average.  

            I certainly hope Jean isn’t getting serious over that Jewish boy.  He seems quite nice for a Jew but still he does not appeal to me as much some Jews I have run around with. 

            John Steele sure has this army organized.  Boy oh Boy I hope the day comes when I have things like he does  One thing- before I left I wondered where all of the privates were.  We said everyone (even Howard Okie) was a corporal or better.  I guess the answer to that is that only these can get furloughs or leave.  Down here just in out hotel there are 2 Captains, 8 Lt. aprox 50 non com’s and 2500 buck privates.  I think this is a fairly good percentage all over the beach.  So now we know where the privates are.  Tell Kathy that there are some privates down here. 

            I hope Marge gets her furniture in time.  She sure had had to wait long enough.  It looks like Babe isn’t going back to housekeeping, doesn’t it?  Are you all having “Peggy Trouble” again?  I hope not.  I don’t think she or her $6 per month, (or what ever it is ) is worth it. 

            Boy of boy!  Steve sure has had the tough breaks.  I hope it doesn’t continue.  Is he going to have to have glasses?  Do you think measles really cause other things?  How are you and your business?  Everything is running smoothly, I hope.  Do you have the secretary problem straightened out? 

            Probably by the time you get this I will be far away from here

 

You Son, Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment