Thursday, February 4, 2010

May 18th 1943

Letter #30
May 18th 1943
Miss Nancy A. Thomas (Sister but addresses it to his mother)
San Antonio, Texas

Dear Mother,

I guess you are wondering what has happened to me. Well - my last letter was written when I was almost dead. I am in perfect health now. Here was the setup:

Before my physical I sprained (so I thought) my arm on the obstacle course. It was so sore I couldn't even sleep but I was bound to get through my Physical before I went to the hospital about it. I did it. And was classified so now they could not wash me or hold me back here in classification to rot. I went to the hospital and hot it reset. One of the bones in the elbow was cracked and had to be shoved around a little. It is coming along nicely now. I don even have it in a sling. They proceeded to give me one K.P. because I couldn't do calisthenics very well. On top of this I began to get awful headaches. I stood this for 2 days. My last note was written at beginning of the 2nd day. I finally went on sickcall again Sunday. ( I thought it was from the arm). WELL guess what I had - The German Measles. I was sent to the hospital for several days. Friday they let me out. Sat and Sunday I was allowed to take it easy. I feel okay now, ready for pre-flight in about a week. During my stay at the hospital I had to stay in bed all of the time. I couldn't read or write at all. I had to wear dark glasses until Sunday. It seems that measles are a big cause of poor eyes. Isn't that what supposedly happen to Steve? The doctors take it very seriously here. They don't want our supposedly perfect eyes to get hurt. I think mine are OK but they haven't been checked. They feel all right.

As you can see I don't have much else to say because I haven't done anything new or interesting for quite awhile.

I was certainly glad to get your long letter. Three pages on both side that is really unusual. I feel honored. I love to hear the news. Not just the important big events that little ones also. Like Jeans fun with the car and chickens makes me feel closer to home

Love to All
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment