Monday, February 1, 2010

April 16th 1943

Letter #23
April 16th 1943
To Mr. Carl B. Thomas
Tampa, Florida

Dear Dad
I think tomorrow is the day, along around 6 o'clock.

To-day we finished 10 hrs. I has an hour "check" flight. The C.A.A. inspection said I was slightly above average but nothing to brag about.

I has some excitement to-day for a change. I didn't pull out of my spin (this was before the check flight) soon enough so the wind and twisting cracked my windshield - It cost the Govt $40 for a new one but they wont have to pay it because the fellow that went up right after I did had the head blow off the motor - all the people (?) came flying back and finished the window, they were only 200ft off the ground and the instructor tried to make a crash landing - He did but the plane caught in a ditch and turned over. It was pretty well cracked up. Insurance will take care of the plane. Neither the instructor nor student were hurt, wasn't that lucky. Another plane had motor die at 2000 feet. He was able to glide into airport and land. (Lucky Day) I am continually glad I wasnt in either one. Those guys were really scared.


No comments:

Post a Comment