Friday, February 5, 2010

May 27th 1943

Letter #32
May 27th 1943
To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas
San Antonio, Texas

Dear Mother,

I was called out at 3:30 this morning. We fooled away the time (in formation of course) until 9 AM then we got our gas mask and marched over here. The barracks are the same as at classification except the upper class are on the 2nd floor and the lower class on the first. We have to snap into a "brace" everytime they come into the room. We have to do anything they say. Something tells me that the next 4 1/2 weeks, while we are underclassmen, we are going through the real hell. Tampa without its upperclassmen will be wonderful compared to this.

We don't have any time off, no open post, we cant even go to the PX. They tell that after today we won't even have any free time to write home except once a week. All of our free (Official) time is at the disposal of the upperclassmen. That is when we have to "Brace" and shine their shoes etc. Every meal is eaten in silence in a sitting "brace" with one 3 inches of your rear on the edge of the chair. Everywhere we go, we go on the run. We arn't allowed to ever walk (unless we are in drill formation). We arnt supposed to ever smile. If they catch you they put you in a brace. They also have the demerit system here. This will not go into affect for several day however. This seems like a lot of unnecessary stuff to go through to win a war. It reminds me of pre-war days when they had nothing else to do.

I wont get out of here for at least 5 weeks but do you know anyone that live in or near San Antonio? I believe it will be impossible to get acquainted with anyone without having some slight connection from somewhere. Anyone that wants to be considered decent and well bred or what ever it is, will not even look at a solider here. I certainly would like to meet someone.

I have once again left all of my friends. I know only one person in this barracks and he wasn't ever one of my special friends.

The show is excellent again. We are at last on "cadet" rations for good. (I hope).

They took it easy on us today. Tomorrow it really starts. We have to get up make bed, shave etc before 5:30 without lights, so wont be in way of the upperclassmen when they get up. We better not wake them either.

I really can't tell much more that It will be like but pray for me Mother. All I hope is I don't do something to get them really on my neck.

Lots of love
Dave

P.S. They said not to write anything home just send this card.

No comments:

Post a Comment