Friday, February 5, 2010

May 25th 1943

Letter #31
May 25th 1943
To Miss Kathrine A. Thomas
San Antonio, Texas

Dear "Kap"

I haven't heard from you for a long time. I answer your letters or something? If so I am sorry. I will try and do better.

How soon is your school out? Are you passing everything? What sports did you take? During the winter, did you do any more skiing with Besty? Have you written her lately? How is dancing class? Do you still go? There were a few in the spring weren't there.

There are a lot of swell fellows here. I will be leaving all of them except two when I go to pre-flight. It seems that as soon as you make new friends in the army you are separated again. There aren't any nice girls in town that us "soldiers" can get aquatinted with. The only ones that are friendly are the "spicks" or "greasers" or mexicans as they call them. They don't appeal to me. The U.S.O. is the same as all of them. You can sit down in a comfortable chair and write letters on free stationary but other than that there isn't anything worth while there. No girls, that I would like, are at any U.S.O.'s in San Antonio. Everyone hate the soldiers here because it has been over run with them since the last war. I don't write to the girls in Tampa any more I got tired of them.

I hope Mother doesn't sell to many of those chickens. When they begin to ration meat for the army you know its getting scarce. Even the officers are complaining about the show since it changed to that garbage.

Mother tells me that Steve has registered for the draft. In case anyone is worried, I am willing to be $5 that he wont be drafted. I hope to ell he wont enlist. He could do his country a lot more good at home. Tell him I said it isn't worth it even if you do feel a little uncomfortable when people say "When are you going to into the army."

Those pictures of me: Mother and you all can pick out the best. They should send one big one. I paid for it when I was in Tampa. If anyone high pressures you all to buy any more, dont do it unless of course you want to.

Over at pre-flight they have riding horses I hear. I hope we are allowed to ride them. The fellows are building a swimming pool over there also. Whatta time we will have if we ever finish it. Have you done any swimming this year? I would give you a million dollars to go swimming in a great, huge, cool, green, deep, quarry someplace. Those out side of York would do.

I gotta go to Calesthenics now (<~~~HEY MOM! Note the spelling. OK?)

Love
Dave

P.S. Are you Guinea pigs still alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment