Thursday, February 4, 2010

May 3rd 1943

Letter #27
May 3rd 1943
To Mrs. Carl B. Thomas
San Antonio, Texas

Dear Mother,
I am glad that you like Anne. She is the first girl I have like anymore then to have a good time with once in awhile, for a long while. The only catch is I am just another soldier to her. She is just doing her good deed for the day when we go out. I have gotten a letter from her since I arrived which was a surprise. I also got a long letter from "Teddy." She was a swell kid I really had fun with her. I am going to try and keep in touch with them bit it seems so useless. There is more of a chance that I will be sent to Alaska then be sent back there (to Florida).

I was glad to get those birthdays. I can never remember them. Did "Babe" get my letter? I thought she would be around home when I wrote it. I am glad she and John are getting to see each other a lot before he leaves.

That women situation in an office is really tough. Up in York it was quite a problem. They are all "cats" and are jealous of the other and are all trying to make the boss or the other men in the offices. Dad sure hates to be bothered with them I know. I am glad its cheered up now. I think thats the best way to handle , to "put your foot down."

I did not solo my 10 hrs in Tampa, were all with an instructor there to take over if I did something dumb. Our instructors were civilians. They are civilians in primary flight training also. Only basic and Advanced are army instructors.

I sent N. a card that show our barracks. We are about 5 miles from San Antonio, 1 mile from Kelly Field. I haven't even seen it yet. We get open post Tuesday so we are going in to look over the town.

The weather is perfect unless you have to go to school like I will. This temp is about 85 degrees all day long, the evenings 60 degrees all night. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky or any rain since we arrived. You don't mind the temp because of this. Of course you sweat but it doesn't bother you like in a humid place like Florida. I imagine it will really get hot by summer though.

The country is as flat as South Jersey. There are a few oak trees around the buildings but nothing but brush and dust and weeds far as far as you can see. This is as poor soil as further west and south so they do farm here to a certain extent.

I still haven't heard about my classification since I sen your and Dad cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment